Contest 2012 Final Reports
New Zealand Natural Hazards
- Great megathrust earthquake hazard (Hayward)
- Optimization and testing of hybrid earthquake forecasting models (Rhoades)
- Matauranga Maori for volcanic hazard (Procter)
- Improving tsunami warnings and real time hazard assessment in New Zealand’s ports and harbours (Power)
- Alpine Fault Earthquake Recurrence (Clark & Cochran)
- Submarine landslide-tsunami hazard (Mountjoy)
- Storm-tide hazards in estuaries (Bell & Stephens)
- Wind speed hill shape multipliers (Revell)
- EBF demand and repair (Clifton)
- Residual capacity & repairing options - Draft (Pampanin)
Lessons Learned from Christchurch
- Economic lessons from Christchurch (Timar) - Updated June 2016
- Groundwater and liquefaction (Cox)
- Reinforced concrete walls (Henry)
- Retrofit solutions for heritage URM buildings (Ingham)
- Active submarine faulting and earthquake potential: North Canterbury & Marlborough (Barnes)
- Quantifying contributions to seismic hazard (Kaiser & Bradley)
- Faster rebuilds with MRCGE (Cronin)
Dr Bruce Hayward /Geomarine Research / $360,000 GST ex
- See also Hayward et al (2015) Subsidence-driven environmental change in three Holocene embayments of Ahuriri Inlet, Hikurangi Subduction Margin, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics, available online
- New! See also Hayward et al (2016) Salt-marsh foraminiferal record of 10 large Holocene (last 7500 yr) earthquakes on a subducting plate margin, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. Geol Soc America Bull, v. 128, no. 5-6, p. 896-915, available online
Dr David Rhoades / GNS Science / $200,000 GST ex
Dr Jonathan Procter / Massey University / $270,000 GST ex
Dr William Power / GNS Science / $600,000 GST ex
Drs Kate Clark & Ursula Cochran / GNS Science / $311,000 GST ex
See the video from their recent public seminar (♦ Link).
Drs Joshu Mountjoy & William Power/ NIWA & GNS Science / $440,000 GST ex
Drs Rob Bell & Scott Stephens / NIWA / $300,000 GST ex
Dr Michael Revell / NIWA / $420,000 GST ex
A/Prof Charles Clifton / University of Auckland / $299,000 GST ex
Professor Stefano Pampanin / University of Canterbury / $450,000 GST ex
- See also Elwood K et al (2016) Draft Framework for Assessing Residual Capacity of Earthquake-Damaged Concrete Buildings, Paper No. O-12, New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering Conference, 1-3 April 2016, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Dr Levente Timar / Motu, GNS Science / $450,000 GST ex
Working papers ahead of final report -
- 14-08. Natural selection: Firm performance following the Canterbury earthquakes. 14-08. August 2014. (♦ Link)
- 14-13. That sinking feeling: The changing price of disaster risk following an earthquake. 14-13. Nov 2014. (♦ Link)
- 15-19. Before a Fall: Impacts of earthquake regulation and building codes on the commercial building market. Oct 2015 (♦ Link)
- 16-07. Labour market dynamics following a regional disaster. May 2016 (♦ Link)
Dr Simon Cox / GNS Science / $490,000 GST ex
Dr Richard Henry / University of Auckland / $230,000 GST ex
Professor Jason Ingham / University of Auckland / $300,000 GST ex
- See also 'Seismic Assessment and Retrofit of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings' - A website repository developed by Jason Ingham containing research outputs funded by the Platform.
Dr Philip Barnes / NIWA / $280,000 GST ex
- See also 'Active Submarine Faulting and Earthquake Potential: North Canterbury and Marlborough' - Bartholomew et al Tectonics, 33 (7), pp. 1201-1218.
Dr Anna Kaiser & A/Prof Brendon Bradley / GNS Science & Univ Canterbury / $500,000
- Earthquake Ground Motions: Learning from the Canterbury Earthquakes - NHRP 'Natural Hazards 2013'
- Oth, A.; Kaiser, A.E. 2014 Pure and Applied Geophysics 171(10): 2767-2782.
- McGann, Bradley, Wotherspoon & Cox (2015) Comparison of a Christchurch-specific CPT-VS correlation and Vs derived from surface wave analysis for strong motion station velocity characterisation. Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, 48 (2), pp. 81-91.
Professor Shane Cronin / University of Auckland / $250,000 GST ex
Last updated 8 June 2016